Parish Church Weerberg of the Immaculate Conception
The Neo-Romantic, Nazarene building is a beautiful starting point and orientation point and particularly worth seeing.
The plan to build a new church in Mitterweerberg dates back to 1742. It was not until a century later, however, that it was possible to begin with the work according to the plans of Diocesan master builder Josef von Stadl. The church was built in the Neo-Romanesque style as a three-nave basilica with two façade towers. Within a very short period of time, Kurat Kirchner collected the funds necessary for the new building, so that the provisional consecration could already take place in 1866.
The inauguration ceremony was held by Prince Bishop Gasser on Corpus Christi Day in 1872. The new church was consecrated to the immaculate conception of Mary and the apparition of the Virgin Mary in Lourdes, a place of pilgrimage in France, in remembrance of the dogma proclaimed shortly before the church was built.
The pyramid helmet towers of the parish church Weerberg are covered with glazed bricks. The flanking facade towers face north towards the Inn valley. The west portal still originates from the old Petrus church from the 16th century. The apse is semicircular on the outside. On the south-west side of the church is the war memorial with the fresco of the Swan Toni Kirchmair.
In 1992 and 1993 the parish church for the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary underwent an external renovation.
Through the main portal you enter a vestibule under the choir gallery. The area is enclosed by a clay vault. The choir has a fan vault and the 3-yard nave has a cross-ribbed vault. The frescoes by Franz Ertl (Schwaz) and Prof. Philipp Schumacher (Innsbruck) represent a continuous hymn to the Blessed Mother. The neo-Romanesque, free-standing high altar contains the relics of the holy martyr Aurelia in the gilded shrine. The furnishings are consistently Neo-Romanesque and Nazi.
The interior of the church was restored in 2004. The floor was renovated, the organ loft was extended and the artist Franz Knapp from Weerberger was commissioned to create a new Pieta.