A seemingly inconspicuous little church on the edge of the forest is a testimony to Tyrol's conflict-stricken history.
The Kreuzkirche ("Church of the Cross") in Pill looks back on a bizarre history: In July 1703, in the course of the so-called "Bayerischer Rummel", Zirler Innbrücke was particularly hard fought over. It was burned down by the Tyrolean freedom fighters, but the bridge cross remained intact and fell into the Inn. Below Pill - near the Holy Cross tunnel - it was led by a Tyrolean field guard, fished out of the Inn by Kaspar Norer and housed in a provisional wooden chapel.
Soon this cross was regarded as miraculous and became a pilgrimage destination. In 1764 curate Bernhard Kiechl began building a large brick church, which was inaugurated by Bishop Leopold Count Spaur of Bressanone on July 25,1766.
The magnificent frescoes by Christoph Anton Mayr are a special characteristic. These frescoes make Kreuzkirche one of the most beautiful baroque churches in Tyrol. In 1981, due to its proximity to the federal highway, the church was renovated by 1.5 metres and moved back 5 metres.
Non-binding request to