Arrest for a cardinal
and death hour of the last bear
WOLFSKLAMM - ST. GEORGENBERG - STALLENTAL
Uuuuuuuoooo, Ouuuuuuuuu - Although some may now suspect it, the introduction is not a misguided keyboard shortcut. It's an attempt to put letters in wolf howls. It goes in the following story - also - around the Wolfsklamm. And since the spectacular gorge is so called, one can assume that the name has its reason. Why should?
there were no wolves there? There are also bears around. The fate of the last bear living in North Tyrol is even part of this story. But later ...
Back to the Wolfsklamm.
"THE CLAMM IS WITH
YOUR 354 STAGES WELL
the most beautiful
of their kind
IN THE ALPS",
DOES NOT MEAN IT
UNBEATEN IN ONE
Exaggeration or not - it is unique in any case, this narrow gorge with its roaring waterfalls and towering cliffs, which is accessed by footbridges that are partly driven into the rock or directly over the water rushing down into the valley. Incredible - more than a hundred years ago, visionary Stan (s) have realized that this rock water world, created by the Stanerbach in the foothills of the Stallental, is unparalleled. They laid down a first jetty, which was opened on 11 August 1901. The shortcoming: he ended at the two waterfalls in the upper third of the gorge. In 1912, the stream resisted for the first time against human conquest. In plain language: flood tore the bridges and jetties. The bipeds discovered the beauty of the gorge were not beaten. On October 4, 1936, the new ascent leading through the entire gorge was opened. The wrestling man - nature dragged on several rounds. In more or less large intervals, the Stanley brook or avalanches tore parts of the man-made infrastructure into the depths. The flood of the century in 1950 destroyed more or less all bridges and bridges and the power plant built in 1932 in the outlet of the gorge. On 16 June 1957, the Wolfsklamm was opened for the third time and remained accessible since, with almost annual damage to water and / or snow had to be repaired or must. When you have mastered the gorge, nature follows a cultural experience. The rock sanctuary of St. Georgenberg. The final access to the place of pilgrimage is a spectacular one. He leads over the "high bridge". Their construction and their age make this bridge an architectural feature. From a masonry stone arch four stone pillars aspire to the height, which are put on half-timbered buildings, which carry the covered bridge. The substructure, built of rock blocks, dates back to 1515. In 1705, at the fourth fire of St. Georgenberg, the wooden structure was redone in 1708 and rebuilt. About a hundred years ago, the gatehouse received its battlements, and above the entrance to the bridge, a house in which the gatekeeper lived lived in front of him.
Yes, and then you look at two churches. On the pilgrimage church including annexes and - right on the mountainside - on the "early church" of St. Georgenberg, the Lindenkirche. The church "to Our Lady under the lime tree", as it is called by its full name, is worth a visit. In the course of the recent restoration work, frescoes by the Baroque artist Christoph Anton Mayr (1720 - 1771) were discovered in the church ceiling, some of which have now been uncovered and their best-preserved scenes repaired and now remain visible. The history of Georgenberg goes back to the period around 950. At that time Blessed Rathold von Aibling built a first chapel with a monastery for a small monastic community. On this old history
Also referred to a legendary sentence by Abbot Albert Grauß (1895 - 1973) on the occasion of the abolition of the monastery of St. Georgenberg / Fiecht by the Nazi regime in 1941, which dreamed of the "millennial kingdom". "We have already passed the thousand years," the superior shouted to the Gestapo henchman. Back to prehistory. The monastery was raised in 1138 to a Benedictine abbey and soon received extensive land in the Inn Valley and Achental (including Achensee). It became a much visited pilgrimage site and was the burial place of the lords of Schlitters, Rottenburg and other noble benefactors. 1450 was the pin ARREST FOR A CARDINAL of Emperor Frederick III. granted the right of asylum, to which even the pillar of liberation, the popularly called "White Marter" on the way to Georgenberg recalls. Devastating fires in the years 1284, 1448 and 1637 required extensive new buildings. By the way, from 1619 to 1622 the monastery was also a prison. Cardinal Melchior Khlesl, bishop of Vienna and chancellor of Emperor Matthias II (grandson of Emperor Charles V) and as such a gray eminence in the kingdom, fell after the death of the emperor at his brothers Ferdinand (the future emperor) and Maxilian the "German master" out of favor and was arrested. Because of its exposed location St. Georgenberg was chosen as an ideal prison. Because of the prominent prisoner or to prevent its liberation, the pilgrims were subjected to rigorous controls (the guard included 23 soldiers), which is why the pilgrimage almost came to a standstill. This meant enormous loss of income and brought the monastery to the brink of ruin. To make matters worse, that the imperial house had agreed to take over the cost of living of the prisoner and his guards (there were ultimately 7000 guilders to book), this debt but only repaid after 18 years. On the other hand, according to a contemporary document, the table for the prisoner had to be "very rich, so that Mr. Cardinal would have difficulty complaining". Hungerkur was the Georgenberg stay for the ecclesiastical dignitary in any case none. He and his entourage were "to dine at noon and at night 10 or 12" and namely "1 Henn in the Suppn, 1 piece of beef, 1 Castraun (castrated ram) or calves Praten, 1 Prätl of a Lämpl, Pratne chickens or birds, Carminades (Sideburns) or pancakes, at night from a hops (ham) a spit or picadl (small, thin slices of veal or liver), 2 preserves, ains of castraunen and the other of a steamed meat, zipper, cabbage, ardichoppen (artichoke) , green peas or other fruit (fruit) in fun, at night the accompanying salad. In the weeks between the peasants a warm pate or other food ". *) Moreover, Khlesl drank a lot of wine of the highest quality - so he did not suffer hunger and thirst, the high-born prisoner, whose image can be admired in the refectory of St. Georgenberg.
WAS OUT OF THE
Mountain - a talc monastery?
And how did the mountain become a talc? After a renewed fire in 1705 and because of the constant danger of avalanches, the monastic community moved to the valley to Fiecht. Already in 1725, however, the miraculous image of the painful mother was transferred back to the holy mountain, where from the ruins a pilgrimage hospice was created. From the former abbey is still worth seeing the refectory with stucco and the prelate room. On the ground floor there is a restaurant with a large garden. The vaults of the church adorn two large and several small frescoes in the Nazarene style, which were created in 1863 by Franz Lair. Particularly important for the pilgrimage is the high altar from the 18th century, in which the carved image of the Virgin of Sorrows of 1415 is integrated. The lateral figures of St. James and Blessed Rathold as well as the altarpiece with the seven pains of Mary and the tabernacle carved the famous Franz Xaver Nissl (1731-1804) from Fügen in the Zillertal. The tower from the 17th century. has two Romanesque basement floors with head consoles. The staircase-like conclusion dates from 1866. At the foot of the rock, on which the pilgrimage ensemble towers visible from afar, the Stallenbach and the Georgenberger Bach unite to Staner Bach. The Stallenbach rises in Stallental, into which an easily walkable hiking trail leads (experienced marchers can continue to Lamsenhütte and - past the Binsalm - in the Engalm). On the way to Stallental you pass the Bärenrast, which commemorates the shooting of the last North Tyrolean bear on May 14, 1898. Since Meister Petz was spotted several times in the preceding years, it is recommended in the issue of May 24, 1897 of the "messenger for Tyrol", that St. Georgenberg pilgrims should also carry a shooting spank except the rosary .... Schießprügel logically led the hunting party led by Constantin Graf Thun-Hohenstein, who on May 14, 1898, blew out the light of life for this last North Tyrolean bear. At that time Johann Lindebner (born 1878) from Stans was one of the drivers. The "Obal Hansal," as the locals called him, was a flunker that would have sufficed the lying baron of Munchausen. After the bear launch, he dramatically described how he suddenly faced the bear, Aug in Aug. On the tense question of what happened then, the Hansal did not hesitate for a long time and replied as shot from the gun: "G'fress'n hot he mi!" He has survived the bear by 63 years ...
@ Peter Hörhager